LINKS to various sites - read descriptions below
- Jazz History Presentation
- On February 4th, I presented the first of a two part series on "The History of Jazz in the Seacoast," sponsored by the Seacoast Jazz Society and the Portsmouth Public Library. The second part will be presented on April 13th and may be accessed on the Portsmouth Public Library website.
- Online Jazz Saxophone Concert
- Using MMO backup tracks, I presented an online concert of jazz saxophone music to a local retirement community, the Edgewood Centre in Portsmouth. The edited one hour ZOOM concert is available on YouTube.
- Discogs Record Store
- I recently started selling jazz albums on Discogs, the amazing U.K. site for vinyl, CDs and cassettes. The link will take you to my latest collectible offerings.
- New Music Videos
The link above will take you to some recently recorded music videos. The personnel are:
Paul Heckle, vibes
John Hunter, bass
Tim Gilmore, drums
Charlie Jennison, saxes and flute
The recording and mixing were done by Ryan Parker
- Saxophone Summit Video
The link above will take you to a video recently recorded at the Timberlane Performing Arts center that features me playing piano with several fine area jazz players. More information about the concert in on the"News" page of this site.
- Paul Heckel
Here's a site created by my long time friend and musical associate, Paul Heckel. It also has links to various videos, including the new one our quartet just recorded.
A favorable review of my CD "Iridescence," by critic Dave Nathan
- Seacoast Big Band
Here are some clips from a recent Seacoast Big Band concert at UNH for the Summer youth Music School students.
The first number is an arrangement of mine of a tune called (Remembering) Joe Maini.
Joe was a 1950s west coast alto player who, like Art Pepper and Bud Shank, helped define the "cool school" sound and approach of the post bebop era. He unfortunately died accidentally at a young age, but managed to play with John Coltrane and Duke Ellington, among others, in his brief existence.
The tune was written by guitarist Dave Blumberg.
Hummingbird Farm Productions Websites
- Hummingbird Farm Productions
This is the umbrella business name that connects Charlie Jennison and Anne Jennison professionally.
- Anne Jennison - Storyteller
Anne's Native American Storyteller website AND Baha'i Storytelling as well.
- Anne Jennison's CD Baby Site
I am happy to announce the release of my talented storytelling wife's award winning album in CD format, just in time for Christmas 2015.
Anne did all the artwork for the project and decided to re-release it 20 years after the original as her way of saying "I'm back." Back, that is, in the storytelling community after 15 years of teaching Social Studies at the high school level. "Hummingbird, Native American Stories" is a delightful collection of tales about the little bird who can do just about anything it puts its mind to, and who shares an important role in the lore of Native American peoples.
A Few of Charlie's Featured Solos on YouTube
- Spring Is Here - UNH Faculty Jazz Octet with Charlie soloing on tenor sax, among others.
"Spring Is Here" UNH Faculty Jazz Octet with Charlie soloing on tenor sax, among others.
- Never Always (Carl Saunders) - featuring Charlie Jennison and Craig Skeffington on solos
Never Always (Carl Saunders) - featuring Charlie Jennison and Craig Skeffington on solos
- Stella By Starlight Bill Holman's arrangement) - Featuring Charlie Jennison solo
Stella By Starlight Bill Holman's arrangement) - Featuring Charlie Jennison solo
Jazz Education Resources
- Dorn Publications
This website features Saxophone Journal, saxophone sheet music, Open Loop CDs (their own label), saxophone method books, saxophone reeds, saxophone accessories, and classical saxophone CDs.
- Based on the work of trumpeter Willie Thomas, this site offers the beginning jazz student a great deal of free material, etudes, videos, and more.
- Subscriptions are available for the more advanced student to thoroughly explore useful and relevant material.
Some Excellent Jazz Resources
Grammy award winning multi-instrumentalist who tours and plays with the Dave Matthews band. VanDoren artist and published educator, in addition to being an amazing tenor saxophonist. Many useful videos and links. Happy to say I gave Jeff some of his first saxophone lessons decades ago. Now I study his recordings!
Dave is a former student from my teaching days at UNH. You will enjoy his energetic playing and world class compositions and arrangements with players from all corners of the globe. A true contemporary jazz player, Dave has strong roots in tradition, performing with Toshiko Akioshi and other well known groups. But I'll let you see and hear for yourself!
- Charles McNeal
Excellent source of saxophone solo transcriptions by an outstanding player and teacher.
- Jeff Rzepiela
Here's a site by an excellent teacher and player with many valuable exercises, and transcriptions.
You can also subscribe to his newsletter of practice tips!
- Stan Getz
Very cool site set up by a fan.
- Dave Liebman
One of the most influential saxophone players and teachers of the twentieth century. Lots of valuable information, recordings, studies, etc. on this site.
Giving Credit Where it's Due
- Dick Lord Photography
- Thanks to Dick for many of the images on this site. Check out his site for more cool photography.